Thursday, January 28, 2010

This is the squat that never ends....

Recently, I was coerced into joining my friend, Sonia's, gym - Elite Fitness - because they were offering a 6 week boot camp workout regimen.

This is my friend, Sonia. She's lost 3 pant sizes since this picture was taken. =)

I didn't have to join the gym, mind you, in order to participate in the boot camp, but when I went to sign up, the days that I wanted to attend were already full, and the days that I couldn't attend were being forced upon me. Fortunately, the girl behind the counter told me that if I was to join the gym, I could go to any class - that's right - ANY class at any time on any day that I wanted to. Another perk to joining was that instead of being brow beaten, terrorized, and tortured by the personal trainers leading each work out session, I could show up, do my best, get water when I wanted, and not be yelled at like the others, who were not members.

So, I joined and was weighed and measured, and then had those measurements jotted down in my records. I have been trying to go every Wednesday & Friday @ 6pm and every Saturday at 10am.

Wednesdays & Fridays are my beginning boot camp classes with Suzy. I like Suzy because she pushes us with repetition, but doesn't single you out if you can't do something. I have bad knees and poor circulation in my ankles and feet, so jumping is not an option at the moment, but I've started substituting running in place when I can't do the jumping exercises.

Suzy looks like she could have been a former body builder, and she may have well been.

Her work outs are total body. We do squats, push ups, lunges, weights, jumping, running, stretching - you name it, we do it.

But Saturday....oh Saturday is another story.

Daniel teaches the Saturday class, and he does not play.

We start with squats, then do jumping jacks - 500 as of last Saturday - then we change it up and add weights to our squats. We do squats standing up; we do squats while squatting; we do squats lying on the floor, and squats any time in between. If you are late to his class, he makes you do jumping jacks. Sometimes 50; sometimes 150. If you take too long to get water, he makes you do jumping jacks. If you've been told not to do something, but you try to anyway, he'll stop the music, call you out on it in a very loud voice, and make the entire class start over. This is, of course, very annoying because we're usually doing squats.

There is a possibility that I may try a 30 minute TRX class on Sunday afternoons, but it kind of cuts my chances of going out to eat with my friends after church, so I'm not really sure about it. Sonia, of course, is the one who told me about TRX. I'm not really sure what it is, but the description says suspension training. I'm interested, but a little nervous.

This is what Elite Fitness has on their website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzODGa3z66Y&feature=player_embedded

Perhaps I'll go, and then let you know what I think.

No comments: