Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bread Pudding

Today, November 20, 2008 is my fabulous co-worker, Kay's, birthday. Melissa, Lorna, Deb and I planned a surprise dessert party for Kay - so I made bread pudding.

Little did I know....Bread Pudding is Kay's favorite. =)

I like using cinnamon swirl bread without raisins.

This is my grandmother's recipe, which she taught me to make when I was 12 years old. My mom told me that the recipe was written in my handwriting. hahahaha

Anywho, so you're supposed to start out with 5 or 6 slices of bread, and then cut them into 4's.

Butter each side and lay them in the bottom of an 8x8 pan in any pattern.


Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and sugar together, and pour slowly over the bread on the bottom - making sure that each piece has an opportunity to soak up the liquid.


Bake uncovered at 375 for 35 minutes. You should be able to stick a knife in the custard and have it come out clean.
For this particular attempt, I accidentally added one extra egg, and not enough vanilla, but everyone kindly lied and said it was great. =)
My next attempt will be to soak the bread in Kahlua before I cover the bread with the custard sauce.





2 comments:

MissCaron said...

I'm so sad that I didn't get to try some ... it looks great!

Melissa said...

It was extra yummy. You didn't tell us you goofed up on the ingredients :)